Mindo Tour 2D/1N
Mindo is renowned as the best birdwatching site in South America. It is home to more than 400 bird species. Thanks to the Andes and the equatorial line our small but diverse country has almost all types of climate, from permafrost to equatorial, creating fascinating ecosystems. Ecuador, covering just 0,02% of the Earth’s surface, supports about 10% of all the planet’s bird species.
Difficult: Easy Group: Any Family: Yes Duration: 2 Days
Every 200 meter drop in altitude means a change in bird species. Only 80 km from Quito, yet deep in the heart of the Cloud Forest, where clouds and trees blend in a mystery and magic of nature, you can hope to see the velvet-purple coronet hummingbird, the yellow-collared chlorophonia, the orange-breasted fruit eater and the endangered long-wattled umbrella bird, to name just a few. During the tour we will also visit the butterfly farm or take a stroll to the beautiful waterfalls.
- Day 1: Pick up at 7:00 am, from Quito to Mindo we will take the Calacali-Independencia road; at km. 79 to the south is the road to Mindo and then, at km. 8, we will take a side road to the town. We’ll approximately arrive at 10:00 am and then we’ll visit the butterfly farm; lunch there and hike to the waterfall (about 3 hours). Back to Sachatamia to rest and dinner.
Day 2: Wake up at 4:00 am. Departure at 4:30 am to drive to “La Finca” to look at the Andean Cock of the Rock. After 3 hours we will continue with a hike after enjoying a box lunch. Lunch at “Mirador del Rio Blanco” and then back to Quito.
- Bilingual guide English/Spanish (we also offer German and French speaking guides)
- 1 box lunch
- Entrance fee to “La Finca”-10 USD p/p
- Alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks
- The Andean Cock-of-the-rock, Rupicola peruviana, is a medium-sized, approximately 32cm (12½ in) long, passerine with a large disk-like crest and scarlet or brilliant orange plumage. It has black tail and wings, and pale grey scapulars. The female is significantly darker and browner than the male and has a shorter crest.
One of the two species in the genus Rupicola, the Andean Cock-of-the-rock is distributed in Andean cloud forests in Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia. The diet consists mainly of fruits. The male is polygamous and displays in communal leks. The females build shallow nests with mud and plant material on the walls of rocks, hence the common name.
The Andean Cock-of-the-rock is the national bird of Peru. Widespread throughout humid Andean forests, the Andean Cock-of-the-rock is evaluated as Least Concern on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.
PRICES ARE PER PERSON IN USD
Number of Passengers 1 2 3 4-9 10-15 Mindo + Accommodation in Sachatamia Lodge $531 $205 $157 $136 $103 Mindo + Accommodation in Bellavista Lodge $550 $220 $172 $152 $118
Tours Unlimited is a leading company offering personalized service to international tourists. For 15 years, it has contributed to the development and promotion of all Ecuador’s four regions. We invite you to come and enjoy Antisana, one of the best places to go and contemplate the majestic Andean Condor; 8 out of 10 of our clients and visitors has given an “excellent” rating to our tours dedicated to discover Antisana and its surroundings.
We will offer a punctual, courteous and professional service adjusted to your individual needs with the objective of showing the magic of Ecuador in a safe, fun and responsible way. All of our guides are bilingual fully prepared to give you the most complete information about the local culture, history and geography; 9 out of 10 of our clients and visitors has given an “excellent” rating to our guides. If you don’t believe us, check out some of our clients’ testimonials: