Otavalo Day Tour
Otavalo is located on the province of Imbabura, known also as the “lake province”, in the north part of the country. Imbabura counts with a pleasant dry climate with temperatures averaging around 64 degrees Fahrenheit (18 degrees Celsius) and it is home of many indigenous handicraft markets of which Otavalo is the most famous. The Otavalo market is most popular on Saturday when many indigenous communities gather at the “Plaza de los Ponchos” to exhibit their textile crafts, especially blankets and tapestries, that date from colonial times.
The surroundings of Otavalo also offer places of unique beauty with lakes, volcanoes and ecological reserves and Tours Unlimited offers daily trips to all of them where you can enjoy nature at its fullest.
Difficult: Easy Group: Any Family: Yes Duration: 1 Day
- Traveling north of Quito, we will cross the equator line and visit the small town of Cayambe. The spot is marked by a monument that offers a great photo opportunity and is sometimes preferable to touristy "Mitad del Mundo".
En route to Otavalo, which is located in the valley between two extinct volcanoes, we will admire rich agricultural lands with magnificent flowers, particularly roses, grown here for florists around the world. Otavalo is a large craft market offering wonderful weavings, rugs, bags and other real masterpieces made by indigenous people at competitive prices.
Transactions are relaxed, with the tourists always getting a bargain. After visiting the Otavalo market we take you to a nice restaurant for lunch.
After lunch we continue our trip to the village of Cotacachi, which is famous for its traditional handcrafted leather goods.
- Bilingual guide English/Spanish (we also offer German and French speaking guides)
- All entrances: visit to the “Mitad del Mundo Cayambe”, “Cuicocha” lake entrance
- Custard apple and bizcocho tasting
- Cuicocha Lake: Cuicocha is a three kilometer (1.9-mile) wide caldera and crater lake at the foot of Cotacachi Volcano in the Cordillera Occidental of the Ecuadorian Andes. Its name comes from the Kichwa Indigenous language and signifies: "Lago del Cuye" or Guinea Pig Laguna in English. It was given this name due to the shape of the largest Island located in the middle of the Laguna resembling a Guinea Pig. These animals play a significant part in the everyday life of Ecuadorians, as it reproduces rapidly and needs a minimum of food and care to survive, it makes for an excellent high protein meal especially for populations living in altitude.
Cuicocha forms the southern end of the Cotacachi-Cayapas Ecological Reserve. During the second day of Inti Raymi (or Sun Festival) every summer solstice, indigenous shaman use Cuicocha as a bath of ritual cleansing and purification.
PRICES ARE PER PERSON IN USD
Number of Passengers 1 2 3 4-9 10-15 Full Day Otavalo w/out lunch $163 $94 $70 $68 $38 *includes visit mitad del mundo Cayambe, custard apple and bizcocho degustation, Cuicocha Lake entrance, english bilingual guide Full Day Otavalo w/lunch $224 $133 $104 $101 $69 *includes visit mitad del mundo Cayambe, custard apple and bizcocho degustation, lunch at Hacienda or similar, Cuicocha lake entrance, english bilingual guide
Tours Unlimited is a leading company offering personalized service to international tourists. For 15 years, it has contributed to the development and promotion of all Ecuador’s four regions. We invite you to come and enjoy Tinalandia, one of the best places to go for avid birdwatchers; 8 out of 10 of our clients and visitors has given an “excellent” rating to our tours dedicated to discover the Tinalandia and its surroundings.
We will offer a punctual, courteous and professional service adjusted to your individual needs with the objective of showing the magic of Ecuador in a safe, fun and responsible way. All of our guides are bilingual fully prepared to give you the most complete information about the local culture, history and geography; 9 out of 10 of our clients and visitors has given an “excellent” rating to our guides. If you don’t believe us, check out some of our clients’ testimonials: