Antisana Volcano Reserve
This is a spectacular day trip out of Quito to the volcano Antisana, the fourth in altitude in Ecuador, covered with glaciers and snow, and the surrounding Ecological Reserve.
Difficult: Moderate / Difficult Group: Any Family: Yes Duration: 1 Day
- After about an hour's drive southeast from Quito (60 kilometers) the climb and spectacular scenery on Antisana begin with close-up views of a massive glacial moraine, dating back to 11,000 years ago. As you climb higher on a good paved road, with practically no traffic, you can enjoy the spectacular mountain scenery with jagged rocky peaks and the glacier-covered summit above the tree line and a vast sweep of paramo vegetation above the shrubs at tree line.
The first stop is for an overview of the impressive lava flow at Antisanilla, and the next one to admire an incredibly huge wall of cliffs across a narrow canyon, where condors can be seen fairly regularly, as they breed here. They are usually seen soaring up near the highest peaks, a great distance away.
Up in the paramo (at about 12,000 ft. elevation) several stops are made to walk about on level ground and observe the beautiful but small paramo flowers hugging the ground among the lichens and paramo straw: yellow composites, gentians, red Indian paintbrush, orchids and chuquiraguas.
Around the many paramo lakes and ponds you can observe the glacial moraines and birds in both a diversity of species and individual abundance of most of them such as the highly endangered Black-faced Ibis, Cinereous Conebills, Brown Speckled Teal, Andean Lapwings, many Carunculated Caracaras, Black Wing Doves, and the rare Siskin. Some fisherman are allowed to fish for large trouts in certain mountain lakes of the area, from where part of Quito's water supply comes from. After all this natural history excitement, drive over to a local hacienda Antisana for lunch. After lunch, drive back to Quito amid breathtaking settings.
Return to Quito.
- Bilingual guide English/Spanish (we also offer German and French speaking guides)
- Entrance to the National Park of Antisana
- Alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages
- The Antisana Ecological Reserve it's located in the oriental slope of the Andes Mountain Range. The Antisana Volcano with its 5 728 meters is one of the most important volcanoes in the Andes. The region includes the high river basins of the rivers Coca and Napo that flows through the North and Southeast.
The Antisana Ecological Reserve was created in July of 1993, it is considered as a corridor or nexus between the Ecological Reserve of Cayambe-Coca and the Sumaco Napo Galeras National Park. These three areas conform one of the warmest areas in Ecuador and possess an enormous biodiversity.
PRICES ARE PER PERSON IN USD
Number of Passengers 1 2 3 4-9 10-15 Antisana Volcano Reserve Tour $684 $251 $185 $156 $118
Tours Unlimited is a leading company offering personalized service to international tourists. For 15 years, it has contributed to the development and promotion of all Ecuador’s four regions. We invite you to come and enjoy Tinalandia, one of the best places to go for avid birdwatchers; 8 out of 10 of our clients and visitors has given an “excellent” rating to our tours dedicated to discover the Tinalandia and its surroundings.
We will offer a punctual, courteous and professional service adjusted to your individual needs with the objective of showing the magic of Ecuador in a safe, fun and responsible way. All of our guides are bilingual fully prepared to give you the most complete information about the local culture, history and geography; 9 out of 10 of our clients and visitors has given an “excellent” rating to our guides. If you don’t believe us, check out some of our clients’ testimonials: